We returned home bleary eyed and excited. New beginnings, new possibilities, our future is open. Putting the key in the door was magic. And then we walked in the house.
The place was empty, the paint was peeling, everything was dusty and needed much more work than we had anticipated. The kitchen was a disaster and I’m pretty sure that the Tupperware lids have been procreating in the shelf and had taken over the whole kitchen.
After a dinner of food we scrounged from the freezer, we both wandered from room to room, picking things up, putting them down. Stunned. The reality of coming home was hitting hard.
So, we did what any good English people would do. We went to the pub.
The walk down to the pub was amazing. The sun was setting and the smell of the sea was in the air.
As I took the first sip of crisp cider, I took a look around. The sun was setting and the smell of the sea was in the air and the Brighton regulars were out in full effect. We were home. And man it feels good to be home- filthy carpets, cracks, rogue Tupperware and all.
This recipe is great to use up random bits of vegetables and freezer foods and spices from your cupboards.
- For the rice:
- 2 cups (185 g) basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 TBSP lime juice
- Zest from 1 lime
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ tsp. salt
- For the Beans:
- 2 cans black beans, 1 drained and 1 undrained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp allspice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- For the peppers:
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers (I used red and yellow)
- 200 g meatless chicken pieces
- 2 TBSP sriracha sauce (chili garlic sauce)
- 2 TBSP salsa
- ½ tsp allspice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- For rice: Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Allow rice to cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled slightly, add ingredients, mix together.
- For the beans:
- Pour the beans into a small saucepan.
- Stir in the other ingredients.
- Heat over medium heat until hot.
- For the peppers:
- Sweat the onions until translucent
- Add meatless chicken and chill garlic sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remainder of ingredients.
- Cook down until sauce is thick and smooth.
- For the burrito bowls:
- Start with rice, top with beans and spiced peppers.